There are telltale signs that a home is wasting energy that every homeowner should be aware.
- Drafts … if you feel drafts in rooms when doors and windows are closed, it can indicate a leak that can adversely affect heating or air-conditioning.
- Moisture on windows … condensation occurs when warm moist air meets cooler dry air like when a bathroom mirror steams up after a shower. The inside or outside of window can sweat due to temperature differentials.
- Ice dams form at the edge of a room and prevent melting snow from running off the roof. The water that backs up can leak into the home causing damage.
- Higher than normal utility bills indicate that more energy is being required to keep the property at a desired temperature.
- Excessive dust in a home can be the result of dirty HVAC filters or from air duct leaks that could be sucking in dust from the attic.
- Mold thrives in warm, moist conditions which could exist because of leaking roof, walls, windows or poor ventilation.
- Sinus problems affecting residents can be the result of conditions mentioned above like dust and mold.
Recognizing these conditions exist and resolving them can bring a homeowner more comfort and a safer, healthier home. The cost of repairs may be able to be recaptured through utility savings.