- Have a family escape plan in order and make sure to practice it! It’s important that every member of the family knows all of the exits in the home, how to exit in case of emergency and where to meet when they are safely out of danger.
- Keep portable generators outside, away from windows, and as far away as possible from your house.
- Install and test carbon monoxide alarms and smoke detectors at least once a month.
- Cook with caution! Cooking fires are the number one cause of home fires and injuries. Never leave anything on the stove unattended and do not keep anything near the stove that can catch fire such as dish towels and oven mitts.
- Keep anything flammable at least three feet away from any heating equipment like the furnace, fireplace, wood burning stove, pellet stove or portable space heater.
- If using candles during a power outage, make sure that candles are blown out when you leave the room or go to bed. Do not leave candles burning where you sleep. Roughly 1/3 of candle fires start in the bedroom. Candles should be put on a sturdy uncluttered surface where they will not tip over easily.
- Be extra careful with holiday decorations. Try to use ones that are fire resistant or flame retardant. Do not place any decorations too close to heat sources.
- Have your chimney inspected at least once a year. Creosote, also knows as condensed smoke, builds up on the flue and can catch fire. An annual cleaning and inspection can help prevent chimney fires.
So nestle up under those blankets and keep warm this winter, but please be mindful of the fire dangers in the winter. Looking for a reputable company to clean and service your chimney or heating system? Your dedicated NH home inspectors can help point you in the right direction. Give us a call today!